Today is about food. Specifically, crispy coconut curried devils. I know it’s been awhile. Moving forward the blog should mirror real life. Lately, real life is less about obvious grief and more about cooking, baking, photography, gardening and that little jelly bean better known as my grand-daughter. Make no mistake. My son is my first thought when I open my eyes in the morning, the last when I close them at night and many moments in between. I celebrate William in all that I do. Like grief, his inspiration is never ending. Enough said. Let’s move on. More food and less grief. I NEED it to be this way.
Do you like deviled eggs? How about Crispy Coconut Curried Deviled eggs? I created this recipe for a contest sponsored by Eggland’s Best. As many of you know (because you have been voting for my entries non-stop) the contest theme is “foodtography” and I was lucky enough to have 3 of my food photos accepted. One, my smoothie bowl cake, made it to the final 4 (woot woot). While voting for the deviled eggs many of you asked for the recipe. Today, I am happy to be able to share it with you.Print
6 Eggland’s Best Eggs, hard-boiled, cooled and peeled
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sweet Asian chili sauce
½ teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley, plus additional for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for deep frying
1-cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
½ cup flaked unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 Eggland’s Best Egg, lightly beaten with 1-teaspoon water
1 scallion, finely chopped
- Slice hard-boiled eggs in half lengthwise.
- Press yolks through a strainer into a bowl. Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, chili sauce and curry powder; blend well. Stir in parsley and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Heat 3-inches of vegetable oil to 350°F.
- In another bowl, mix panko and coconut.
- Dredge each egg white half in flour. Dip in egg wash to coat and then dredge in panko-coconut mixture.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
- Pipe or spoon yolk mixture into hollows of egg whites.
- Arrange on serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley and scallions.
- Category: appetizers
- Method: stovetop