The best sourdough discard banana bread made sweet with dates and honey
1 ½ cups (200 g) all-purpose flour
½ cup (40 g) white whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (150 g) pitted dates, chopped
3 tablespoons hot water
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 over-ripe bananas, mashed
¾ cup (125 g) sourdough discard
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lemon olive oil*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of a lemon
½ cup chopped candied nuts
- Heat your oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9” x 5” loaf pan with no-stick baking spray.
- In bowl whisk both flours, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In food processor, pulse dates and hot water until finely chopped.
- In large mixer bowl, cream butter and date mixture until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. While mixing, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add banana, sourdough, honey, olive oil vanilla and zest; blend well.
- Add flour mixture slowly, pausing to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Pour the batter into the 9” x 5” baking pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle nuts evenly over top.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then gently remove onto a wire rack to cool completely.
*plain olive oil may be used plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice or ½ teaspoon lemon extract