2 sticks butter, softened
½ cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
2 cups chopped nuts
¾ cup jelly
- Heat oven 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light. Add egg yolks and vanilla; blend well.
- On low speed, gradually add salt and flour; mix just until soft dough forms.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until fluffy.
- Place nuts in another small bowl.
- Dip dough balls into egg white and then roll in nuts coating well.
- Place on baking sheets two inches apart.
- Using your fingers, press tops of cookie balls to flatten.
- With your finger, make a dent in the center of each cookie.
- Spoon ½ teaspoon of jelly into the dent.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer cookies on parchment paper to a rack to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
Keywords: Christmas cookies, thumbprints, holiday, jelly-filled