8 large Granny Smith apples
8 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup Ocean Spray® Cran•Apple™ Cranberry Apple Juice Drink
2 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, coarsely chopped plus 16 whole berries
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Slice off 1 inch from top of each apple. Core apples, but do not go through bottom. Scoop out remaining apple flesh, leaving 1/4-inch shell. Chop scooped apple flesh.
- Cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble, until no longer pink. Add onion and chopped apples; cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add juice drink, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl. Add chopped cranberries, egg, brown sugar, parsley, thyme and 1 cup cheese; mix well.
- Fill apple shells with stuffing. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheese and the walnuts.
- Top each with 2 whole cranberries. Place apples in large baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Keywords: sausage stuffing, cranberries, Ocean Spray, tailgate party, recipe contest