Perfect summer berries make the tastiest cakes
1 ½ cups all -purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon or lime
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
Assorted fresh berries (large ones cut in half), strawberries, blackberries, blueberries
Optional: slivered almonds or streusel (see note)
- Heat oven 350F. Butter an 8-inch square pan or 9-inch deep-dish pie plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and zest for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy with an electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla; blend well. Add buttermilk and flour mixture; blend well.
- Pour batter into desired pan. Top with berries, placing cut sides down. Most of the batter should be covered in berries.
- Sprinkle almonds or streusel just around edge of cake, if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325F and continue baking 45 to 50 minutes or until golden and cake springs back when touched with the tip of your finger.
- Serve warm topped with yogurt or whipped cream.
Streusel: 2 tablespoons soft butter, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, ¼ cup chopped pecans: mash it all together until it forms clumps
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: summer berries, coffee cake, brunch, breakfast, streusel