Asian fusion comfort food at its best in an elegant noodle bowl
½ cup white miso paste
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup Serious Foodie Sri Lanka Coconut Lime Hot Sauce
1 tablespoon Japanese rice wine (sake) or dry sherry
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon Serious Foodie Chinese BBQ Spice Rub
4 (4 oz) sablefish, black cod filets or salmon with skin on
2 baby bok choi, sliced lengthwise
4 broccoli florets
4 ounces cooked soba noodles
2 cups prepared vegetable or chicken broth
½ cup shredded carrots
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Fresh herbs for garnish
- In a microwave-safe 2 cup measure, whisk miso paste, sugar, hot sauce, wine or sherry and mirin until blended. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 30 seconds. Whisk and then microwave another 30 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Set marinade aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels. Sprinkle BBQ spice rub over flesh side of fish. With your fingers pat spices into fish. Place fish in a non-reactive dish, skin-side-down.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of marinade. Slather remaining cooled marinade all over top and sides of fish. Do not put marinade on skin. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate fish for at least 2 hours or as long as overnight.
- Heat oven to broil. Arrange oven rack 4-inches from heat.
- Wipe off the marinade; discard marinade. Pat skin side dry with paper towels.
- Arrange fish filets, skin-side-up, on a lightly greased, foil lined baking sheet. Broil fish 3 to 4 minutes or until skin is brown and lightly charred in some spots. Turn off the broiler and heat the oven to bake at 400F. Continue roasting the fish for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Blanch bok choi and broccoli for 2 minutes in boiling water; remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- Cook soba noodles per package directions in same boiling water; drain.
- Combine broth, reserved marinade and carrots in a saucepan; bring to a simmer.
- When fish is ready, divide soba noodles among 4 serving bowls. Top with broth, some carrots, bok choi and broccoli. Place fish on top, skin side up. Sprinkle with green onions. Garnish with herbs.
choose any firm fish filet with skin on
choose your favorite vegetable
choose your favorite soup noodles
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- marinate time: 2 to 24 hours
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: main dish
- Method: stovetop/oven
- Cuisine: Asian