thin and crispy cookie
2¼ c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
12 Tbs. (1½ sticks / 6 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temp.
1 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ c. granulated sugar
1 Tbs. light corn syrup
1 large egg, at room temp.
1 large egg yolk, at room temp.
2 tablespoons good bourbon or whiskey (William liked Jack Daniels)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 (12 oz) bag Ghirardelli double chocolate bittersweet chips
- Heat oven to 325° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, both sugars and corn syrup on high. Beat in egg, egg yolk, bourbon and vanilla. Reduce speed to low and mix the flour mixture in gradually until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop onto prepared sheets in 2 tablespoon (1 oz.) cookie scoops, leaving 2-inches between each cookie.
- Bake until cookies are lightly browned on the edges (rotating pans halfway through if baking two at once), 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Once you’ve scooped the dough into balls, you can freeze them like this on the trays. Transfer the frozen balls to a freezer-safe zippered bag for up to 1 month. Do not thaw before baking.
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
Keywords: chocolate chip, courage, grief, dessert, snack, inspired, spirited