¼ cup milk
3 eggs, divided
8 slices cinnamon swirl bread, crusts removed, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 cups all purpose flour
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon maple extract
1 stick plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven 400F. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin with no-stick baking spray or line with paper cups.
- In medium bowl, whisk milk and 1 egg until blended. Add bread; stir to coat (this is the French toast topping).
- In medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk remaining 2 eggs for 30 seconds. Add sour cream, maple extract and ½ cup of the melted butter; whisk well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry; blend just until the dry ingredients are moistened (do not over mix).
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Spoon the French toast topping evenly over the batter; pressing down slightly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert the muffins onto a wire rack, turn them upright; cool 5 minutes.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush remaining melted butter over muffins; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.
- Category: quick breads
- Method: baking
Keywords: French toast, muffins, breakfast, brunch, cinnamon, eggs