classic Crème Brûlée
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup light cream
½ cup sugar, divided
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- Heat oven 300F. Place a cloth napkin over the bottom of a roasting pan. Place 4 (5-inch) brulee dishes or 6 ( 6 oz) ramekins in the roasting pan leaving space between each dish.
- Boil water in a tea kettle or a pan with a spout.
- In a saucepan, bring the heavy cream and light cream just to a simmer. (you should see whisps of steam).
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, ¼ cup sugar, salt and vanilla. While gently whisking, very slowly pour hot cream mixture into the egg mixture until combined.
- Strain mixture into a large measuring up or bowl with a spout. Divide mixture evenly among brûlée dishes or ramekins. Place in prepared pan.
- Pour hot water into roasting pan until it comes up half way the sides of the dishes.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until custards are set but still quiver in center.
- Remove from water bath and cool. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Can be made 2 or 3 days in advance at this point.
- Just before serving sprinkle tops evenly with remaining sugar.
- Using a kitchen torch melt the sugar.
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top/baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Crème Brûlée, classic, cream, burnt sugar