Healthy date sugar muffins light on sweetness but heavy on tropical flavor.
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large over-ripe banana, mashed
1 ripe honey mango (champagne mango) peeled, very finely chopped
½ cup date sugar
6 tablespoons coconut oil
¼ cup milk of your choice
2 teaspoons banana extract, coconut extract or vanilla
1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Heat oven 425F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine banana, mango, date sugar, coconut oil, egg, milk, extract and chia seeds; blend well. Add dry ingredients and blend just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among 6 bakery style muffin cups.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then turn down oven to 350F. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts in muffin batter or sprinkled on top
- 1/2 cup golden raisins for added sweetness
- additional date sugar sprinkled on top of muffin batter
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: quick breads
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: healthy
Keywords: date sugar, muffins, health snack