Dare I say these smokey, cheesy buttery crisp crackers are addictive
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
7 tablespoons cold butter, diced
2 ½ ounces grated smoked cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon minced, seeded serrano or jalapeno pepper
1 ½ tablespoons cold water
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse flour, salt, baking powder, smoked paprika and chipotle powder until blended.
- Scatter butter over top of flour mixture; pulse until mixture forms course crumbs.
- Add cheese and chili pepper; pulse a few times to mix in.
- With the food processor running on low, add all the water and continue until mixture begins to clump and form a ball.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and bring together into a long, smooth roll 1 ½-inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or for as long as overnight.
- Heat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. With a smooth bladed knife, cut dough into ¼-inch thick slices, rolling the dough ¼ turn between slices to help keep the round shape.
- Place crackers on prepared pan. Brush tops lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer crackers on parchment to cooling rack. Serve crackers warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- chill: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: appetizers
- Method: oven