This Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Cake recipe took second place in the 3rd Annual #LardLovers Recipe Contest. “The contest drew homegrown recipes — savory and sweet alike — from around the country. Her winning cake has a nice overall balance of sweet and tart.”
· ½ cup lard
· 1 cup packed light brown sugar
· 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
· 5 fresh or frozen large strawberries, stemmed, sliced in half
· 3 cups diced fresh rhubarb
· ¾ cup all-purpose flour
· ½ cup quick-cooking rolled oats
· ¼ cup sugar
· ¾ tsp baking soda
· ¼ tsp fine sea salt
· ½ cup buttermilk
· 1 egg, lightly beaten
· 1 tsp vanilla
· Sweetened whipped cream
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In a 10-inch oven-safe skillet (I use cast iron), over low heat, melt ¼ cup of lard. Add ½ cup of brown sugar and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon; mix and spread evenly over the bottom of the skillet. Remove from heat.
- Place 5 strawberry halves, cut side up, around the center of the skillet. Place remaining strawberry halves around them toward the edge of the skillet. Sprinkle rhubarb evenly over the skillet.
- In large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, salt and remaining ½ cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon; blend well.
- Melt remaining ¼ cup of lard and add it along with the buttermilk, egg and ½ teaspoon of vanilla to dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients with an electric mixture until well mixed. Pour and spread batter evenly over fruit in skillet.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. If cake is getting too brown then cover loosely with foil during last 5 minutes of baking time.
- Cool cake for 5 minutes before running a knife around the edge and then inverting onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream. Garnish as desired.
use a baking pan if you don’t have a skillet
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry, rhubarb, skillet, baking, cake, lard