Bake it for the health of you
4¼ cups (18 oz./510 gm) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
1 (1/4 oz/21 gm) package Red Star Platinum Yeast
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
4 (25 cent size) pieces of fresh peeled ginger
1-teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ cup golden raisins
- In stand mixer bowl, fitted with paddle, combine 4 cups of flour and yeast.
- In small saucepan, over medium low heat, combine milk, butter, maple syrup, salt, fresh ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and pepper; bring just to a simmer, stirring.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes or until milk mixture registers 115F on an instant read thermometer.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture; mix on low speed until flour is fully incorporated.
- Remove paddle and replace with dough hook. Knead dough on low speed for 5 to 6 minutes adding additional ¼ cup flour if it seems too sticky.
- Add raisins to dough during last 2 minutes of kneading time.
- Transfer dough to a buttered bowl, cover and let rest in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Press down dough, divide in half and shape each piece to fit a lightly greased 9-inch loaf pan. Place dough in pans; cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Heat oven 400F.
- Make 3 slash marks diagonally across each loaf. Bake loaves for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and internal temperature registers 200F on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
Keywords: yeast, golden milk, anti-inflammatory, healthy, kansas wheat, king arthur flour, red star yeast, national festival of breads