3 cups all purpose flour
10 tablespoons unsalted butter (my mom only bought Land O Lakes)
6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
8 to 10 tablespoons ice water
3 1/2 cups diced rhubarb (1/2-inch thick slices) reddest stalks are best
1-(16 oz.) container strawberries, hulled, halved (about 3 1/2 cups)
½ cup sugar
1/3-cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
½-teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Whisk flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter and shortening forming coarse crumbs with butter bits about the size of small peas.
- Using a fork, toss in just enough ice water until the dough sticks together forming a ball.
- Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Toss all filling ingredients together; let stand 30 minutes.
- Heat oven 400F.
- Roll out half of pie dough and fit into 9-inch pie plate. Roll out remaining pie dough into 13-inch circle; cut into fourteen 1/2-inch-wide strips.
- Drain juices from filling into a microwave safe 2-cup measure. (you should have about 1/3rd cup of cloudy pink juice).
- Microwave the juices on high for 1 minute; it should come to a rolling boil.
- Spoon filling into crust. Pour juice over filling.
- Arrange 7 dough strips atop filling, spacing evenly. Form lattice by placing remaining dough strips in opposite direction atop. filling.
- Trim ends of dough strips even with overhang of bottom crust. Fold strip ends and overhang under, pressing to seal. Crimp edges.
- Transfer pie to foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake pie until golden and filling is bubbly and thickens, about 65 to 75 minutes.
- Transfer pie to rack and cool completely.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: strawberry, rhubarb, pie, summer, farmer's market