Spirited with Irish whiskey
½ cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon Irish whiskey
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ baking powder
1-teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) frozen unsalted butter
1-teaspoon caraway seeds
- Heat oven 375F. Lightly grease 9-inch round cake pan.
- In small bowl, toss raisins with whiskey; set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Grate butter on the large holes of a box grater into flour mixture; mix with a fork until butter is fully coated with dry ingredients and looks crumbly. Stir in caraway seeds.
- In small bowl, whisk eggs until well blended; reserve 1 tablespoon in another small bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk into remaining egg; stir into flour mixture along with raisins and whiskey. Stir mixture just until dry ingredients are all moistened.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into prepared pan with 9 scoops around edge of the pan and 3 scoops in the center.
- Drizzle reserved egg over the top and spread with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan. Invert onto a plate and then invert on to a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Category: quick breads
- Method: baking
Keywords: Irish soda bread, whiskey, spirits, quick and easy, easy bake, holiday, St. Patrick's Day