The Sicilian version of sweet and sour this chicken dinner is ready in an hour.
4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs*
1-teaspoon kosher salt
½-teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes
1 small to medium onion, chopped
1 cup Wisconsin fresh or frozen cranberries
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 ½ cups apple cider or juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus additional for garnish
1 ½ tablespoons dark brown sugar
cooked spaghetti squash; optional
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet.
- Add chicken; cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- To same skillet, stir in ginger, pepper flakes, onion and cranberries; cook for 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add butter, apple cider or juice, red wine vinegar and rosemary; stir well and bring to a boil. Gently boil for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced by half.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juice to pan. Cook for 10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- To serve: spoon cooked spaghetti squash over center of plate. Top with chicken and sauce. Garnish with fresh rosemary.
*We love chicken thighs in our house, but feel free to substitute boneless chicken breast if that is what you prefer. Just leave the chicken skin intact to avoid overcooked chicken.
- Category: main dish
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: chicken, cranberry, agrodolce, healthy dinner, Sicilian