crowd pleasing chili with a touch of chipotle
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced chipotle chili in adobo sauce
1 pound diced chicken or turkey
1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1-teaspoon ground cumin
1-teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1-cup low-salt chicken broth
1 (15 oz) can small white beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen sweet corn kernals
¼ cup chopped fresh herbs like cilantro, basil, flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in Dutch oven or large stockpot.
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and chipotle; cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add chicken and sausage; stirring, until no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes, 1-tablespoon chili powder, maple syrup, cumin, salt and pepper; stir well and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add beans, corn and additional chili powder, if desired; cook 15 minutes. Stir in herbs.
Leftovers taste great spooned over a baked potato with cheddar cheese.
- Category: soups
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: main dish, stews, chili, chicken, Mexican, chipotle, crowd pleaser