Warm biscuits with a touch of honey and a bit of crunch on top from turbinado sugar
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted ice cold butter
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon demerara or turbinado sugar, optional
- Heat oven 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- On the large hole of a box grater, grate butter into flour mixture. Toss butter and flour mixture together with a fork until butter is fully coated with flour and well distributed.
- Add buttermilk, stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Cover and chill dough for 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, press dough into a 1-inch thick rectangle. Fold the long end into the center and then fold it over again (like you would fold a letter). Flatten and fold 3 more times.
- Roll dough ½-inch thick. Cut out bunny shapes with a floured cookie cutter. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine melted butter and honey. Brush over hot biscuits and sprinkle with sugar.
These are delicious with fresh strawberries and cream.
This dough is moist. Don’t be tempted to add extra flour. Use your bench scraper and dust your hands with flour.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- chill time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: quick breads
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: biscuits, Easter, spring time, bread, bunny shape