10 ounces ripe plum tomatoes, cored (see photo)
¼ cup gold rum
½ cup chopped dried cherries
½ cup toasted sliced almonds
1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup almond meal flour
1-teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
- Heat oven 350F. Spray an 8-inch baking pan with no-stick baking spray or grease and flour.
- Process tomatoes in a blender or food processor until smooth (measure 1 cup of tomato puree).
- Toss cherries and rum together in a small bowl.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, almond meal, baking soda, salt and spices together.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg; blend well. Slowly, beat in tomato puree; mixture will look curdled.
- Add flour mixture blending just until moistened (I usually fold the flour mixture in by hand).
- Stir in cherries, rum and almonds; blend well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before inverting on rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: tomato cake, almond flour, healthy snack, snack cake