Sweet Yellow Corn Bread
Winners all around today. First, big congratulations to “Krista” who is the winner of the fabulous Penzey’s KIND assortment of spices. Krista—please send me your home address, so I can send your prize ASAP. And thanks to everyone who participated. You are all kind winners in my book.
A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to be a contestant in the Martha White Cornbread Festival Cook Off down in South Pittsburg, TN. Even luckier I won a prize for my Sweet Yellow Corn Bread entry. Do give this festive cornbread a try at your next holiday brunch. I promise it will fly off the table. Yes, it is that good and I have a whole bunch of judges that agree.Print
½ pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
½ cup diced sweet onion
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, divided
2 pkg. (7 oz each) Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional shards for garnish
½ cup milk
½ cup sour cream
3 eggs, lightly beaten
8 fresh basil leaves
Garlic Cream Drizzle
¼ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon Martha White corn meal
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 fresh basil leaves
¼ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oven 375F.
- Brown sausage in a 10-inch Lodge cast iron skillet over medium heat breaking the meat into crumbles with a wooden spoon. Transfer sausage to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan along with the tomatoes, onions, sugar and ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring, occasionally, for 8 minutes or until tomatoes and onions begins to caramelize.
- Spread tomato-onion mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Spoon sausage evenly over top.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine cornbread mix, grated parmesan, remaining ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, milk, sour cream, eggs and remaining ¼ cup olive oil; stir until smooth.
- Pour over hot mixture in skillet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. (If any tomatoes or onions stick to bottom of pan simply replace them over cornbread).
- Top with thin shards of Parmesan cheese. Slice basil into thin slivers; sprinkle on top.
- Serve with Garlic Cream Drizzle.
Garlic Cream Drizzle
In microwave safe 1 cup measure combine heavy cream, corn meal, garlic and basil. Heat on HIGH in microwave for 45 to 60 seconds or until mixture boils. Cool. Discard garlic cloves and basil leaves. In small bowl, whisk sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper; add to cream mixture to make a drizzle consistency.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: main dish
- Method: baking