1 cup (128 g) cake flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 tablespoons freeze dried strawberries plus additional for garnish
½ chopped fresh strawberries
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, cooled
Powdered sugar, optional
- Heat oven to 375F. Place oven rack in middle. Spray madeleine pan with baking spray.
- In small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In small food processor or spice grinder, combine 2 teaspoons sugar, thyme and freeze-dried strawberries; process to a fine powder with bits of thyme.
- Add strawberries and process to a puree; measure and set aside ¼ cup of puree.
- In a medium mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat eggs with remaining 6 tablespoons of sugar for 3 to 5 minutes or until thick and pale in color.
- Add reserved strawberry puree and flour mixture blending just until dry ingredients are incorporated.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in melted butter until well blended.
- Spoon or pipe batter into prepared pan just below each rim.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until madeleines spring back with a touch of your finger.
- Turn out to cool on a rack.
- Dust with crushed freeze-dried strawberries or powdered sugar.
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
Keywords: madeleines, tea cakes, strawberries, dessert