1 ½ cups ditalini pasta or small shells
1 cup frozen petite peas
1-tablespoon olive oil
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
freshly ground black pepper
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions. During last 5 minutes of cooking time add frozen peas.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, over medium heat, combine olive oil and butter.
- Add onions; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until softened. The onions should not get brown.
- Add garlic and prosciutto; cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add broth.
- Drain pasta and peas; add to skillet. Cook until just heated through.
- Add cheese and parsley.
- Spoon into serving bowls and top with additional cheese and parsley and some freshly ground pepper, if desired.
Season as you go with salt and fresh pepper. You can also add a pinch of crushed red pepper when you’re heating the olive oil and butter
- Category: pasta
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: peas, main dish, Italian, old world, easy dinner