Cooks Country and America’s Test Kitchen Grand Prize Winner
9 egg whites
1 1/2 cups (5 oz) powdered sugar
½-cup plain dry breadcrumbs
½-cup grated semisweet chocolate plus additional for garnish
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1-teaspoon baking powder
½-pound ground almonds or 2 cups almond flour
¼-cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups cold heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
¼-cup amaretto (almond flavor liqueur)
- Heat oven 350F. Line two 9-inch cake pans with wax paper or parchment and spray with a no-stick baking spray.
- In large electric mixer beat egg whites until soft peaks. Add powdered sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks.
- Mix breadcrumbs, chocolate, flour, baking powder and almond flour together; fold into beaten egg whites.
- Add wine and lemon juice; blend well.
- Divide batter into prepared pans; smooth tops.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center springs back when touched with tip of the finger.
- Transfer cakes to cooling rack; cool completely.
- Beat heavy cream, cocoa powder and sugar until whipped and thick.
- Cut each cake, horizontally, in half.
- Brush cut layers of cake with almond liqueur.
- Spread the filling between the cake layers and on top.
- Sprinkle with additional grated chocolate, if desired
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: European style, cake, chocolate, family recipe, holiday