Korean inspired kalbi braised chicken steam buns have layers of sweet and savory flavors with the zing of ginger and creamy kimchi mayo
6 chicken thighs on the bone with skin
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons grapeseed or avocado oil
1 (13.2 oz.) bottle Lucky Foods Seoul Kalbi Sauce
6 plain frozen Asian steam buns (or 12 smaller size buns)
1 (12.35 oz.) bottle Lucky Foods Seoul Kimchi Mayo
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1 cup pickled red onions (recipe follows in Notes)
Fresh cilantro leaves
- Season chicken thighs with salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron or other heavy skillet until shimmering.
- Place chicken thighs in skillet, skin side down. Cook chicken 4-5 minutes or until skin is nicely browned; turn. Add Kalbi Sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 25-30 minutes or until chicken thighs are thoroughly cooked through and tender.
- Separate chicken from skin and bones. Keep chicken warm. Discard skin and bones.
- Prepare steam buns according to package directions.
- Open steam bun and spread bottom of bun with Kimchi Mayo. Add chicken. Sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds. Top with pickled red onions and cilantro leaves.
Pickled Red Onions
1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
½ cup water
½ cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Place onions in heat proof bowl or jar. In small saucepan, bring remaining ingredients to a boil, stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Pour hot mixture over vegetables; let stand at least 30 minutes or until ready to use. Can be made 1 week in advance and kept covered in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: steam buns, easy Korean recipes, first course Asian, kalbi sauce recipe, braised chicken thighs, eatluckyfoods, luckyfoodsrecipechallenge