Tart lemon filling topped with a sweet wild berry jam this pie is one of my most requested recipes and the regional winner in a national contest.
2 cups shortbread cookie crumbs
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup milk, divided
¼ cup cornstarch
3 eggs, separated
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
1 cup 5% fat Greek yogurt
2 cups wild blueberries, fresh or frozen
½ cup Huckleberry preserves (you may substitute elderberry or blueberry)
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
3 egg whites (from separated eggs above), room temperature
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup super fine sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven 350F.
- Mix cookie crumbs and butter until crumbs are moistened. Press the mixture evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
- For the filling: In a heat-proof bowl or large measure with a spout, whisk ½ cup milk with cornstarch until blended. Add egg yolks, blend well and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk the remaining ½ cup of milk with the lemon juice, sugar and lemon zest until the sugar dissolves and the mixture just comes to a simmer. Slowly whisk the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken and bubble. Let cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time, until melted and incorporated.
- Whisk in yogurt until pudding is smooth.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto the filling to prevent it from forming a crust. Chill for 2 hours.
- Make the jam topping. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine wild blueberries and preserves, stirring, until preserves are melted, blueberries release their juice and mixture begins to bubble.
- Stir in cornstarch slurry to thicken the mixture. Let mixture bubble 1 more minute or until fully thickened. Cover and chill jam before spreading evenly over top of pie.
- Make meringue stars. Heat oven to 200F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a stand mixer with whip attachment combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until foamy. Slowly add sugar and once incorporated add lemon juice. Increase mixer speed to high and whip until meringue is very stiff and glossy.
- Spoon meringue into a large piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 1-inch diameter kisses onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 2 hours or until light and dry. Garnish pie with meringue kisses just before serving.
Filling, jam and meringue stars can be made 1 day ahead
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top/baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pie, huckleberry, wild blueberries, baking, pudding, recipe contest, winner