1 (8 oz) Yukon gold potato, peeled, cubed
1 (4 oz) Yukon gold potato, peeled, grated and squeezed dry in paper towels
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
Guinness beef stew, warmed (recipe follows)
Guinness Beef Stew
1 ¼ pounds beef for stew, cut into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons all purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 sweet onions, chopped
1 ½ cups carrots, bite-size
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 ½ cups Guinness beer
½ tablespoon dark brown sugar
¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- Heat oven 200F. Cook cubed potato in salted water until tender. Drain potatoes and mash. Mix mashed potato with grated potato, flour, baking soda, salt and buttermilk; blend well.
- On a medium hot greased skillet, pour 1/3 cup of potato mixture into center of skillet spreading with the back of a spoon to form a 6-inch pancake.
- Cook about 2 minutes or until edges are dry and pancake is golden brown. Flip and cook other side.
- Transfer pancake to baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
- Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet between pancakes.
- To assemble, place one pancake on serving plate. Spoon ½ cup of stew down center of pancake; fold over.
Guinness Beef Stew
Season beef with salt and pepper; toss with 1 tablespoon of flour. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in oven-safe Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown half the beef; transfer to plate. Add remaining beef; brown and transfer to plate. Add remaining oil to Dutch oven. Add onions and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Add tomato paste, garlic and remaining flour; cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and Guinness, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Stir in sugar, half the parsley and all the thyme; bring to a boil. Transfer, uncovered, Dutch oven to 325F. oven. Bake 60 minutes or until beef is tender, stirring after 30 minutes. Stir in remaining parsley.
- Category: soups and stews
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: stew, guinness, beef, potato pancake, crepe, dinner, main dish