Fresh apple and fennel are complimentary flavors and make for a luscious pie
- Pastry for double crust pie
- 6 medium baking apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced, then chopped (1 cup), fronds reserved for garnish
- ½ cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1-tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- sweetened whipped cream
- Heat oven 425F.
- Roll out half of pie dough to fit 9-inch pie plate.
- In large bowl, toss apples, fennel and cranberries with lemon juice. Mix sugar, cinnamon and flour; sprinkle over apple mixture and gently toss again. Spoon filling into prepared crust.
- With the tip of your finger moisten the edge of crust with some water.
- Roll out remaining pie dough. Top pie with second crust wrapping any excess top crust under bottom crust edge pressing to seal.
- Flute edges. Cut several slits in top crust with the tip of a knife to vent steam.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling. During last 15 minutes of baking time cover fluted edge of pie with a crust protector or foil to prevent excessive browning, if needed.
- Cool before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and fennel fronds.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie, fennel, pastry, baking