Everything you love in a Waldorf salad in a smoked gouda and gruyere grilled cheese sandwich
1 small clove garlic
3/4 cup packed basil leaves
¼ cup fresh celery leaves
2 tablespoons walnut oil
¼ cup California walnuts, toasted
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 slices firm white bread
1/3 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
½ pink lady apple or apple of your choice, thinly sliced
1/3 cup shredded gruyere cheese
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 grapes, optional
- With food processor running drop garlic through feed tube and process until finely minced. Add basil, celery leaves and oil; pulse until combined. Add walnuts, sugar and salt; blend until smooth scraping down sides of bowl, if needed.
- Spread candied walnut pesto evenly on 1 side of each bread slice.
- On top of the pesto on 1 slice of bread, evenly layer the smoked gouda, celery, apple slices and gruyere.
- Cover sandwich with remaining bread slice, pesto side down. Gently press sandwich together.
- Spread half of the mayonnaise over top of sandwich and place mayonnaise side down on non-stick griddle. Grill sandwich, over medium-low heat, for 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spread remaining mayonnaise over bread before flipping to brown the other side.
- Sandwich is ready when both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Top with a skewered grapes, if desired.
- Category: sandwich
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: grilled cheese, waldorf salad, apples, smoked