a fun new way to eat strawberry shortcake
1½-cups all-purpose flour
½-cup white whole wheat flour
¼ cup sugar
1-tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter
1-cup fresh blueberries
½ cup small stemmed strawberries*
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
½ cup heavy cream
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ cup chopped almonds, optional
1-cup strawberry-blackberry jam (I use Smucker’s)
2 teaspoons sparkling sugar, optional
Toppings: fresh berries, sweetened whipped cream
- Heat oven 375F. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment leaving a 2-inch overhang for easy removal. Spray pan and parchment with non-stick baking spray.
- In large bowl, stir flours, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until crumbly.
- Stir in berries and zest. Mix heavy cream and egg together; add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until dough comes together. Divide dough in half. Pat half the dough over bottom of prepared pan.
- Spread jam evenly over dough in pan.
- Mix almonds (if using) into remaining dough and crumble dough evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool. Cut into 3-inch squares.
- Top with berries and whipped cream.
*I grow a French strawberry variety called fraise. The berries are sweet, but maybe only ½-1-inch long. If you use regular strawberries dice them up into smaller pieces.
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: summer, 4th of July, cookies, bars, sweet treat