Mexican inspired cookies are soft with warm pumpkin spices on the inside and a crisp buttery masa harina shell on the outside
2 cups all-purpose
1-teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ancho chili powder;
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
½ cup pumpkin puree
1–teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup masa harina
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- For pumpkin spice cookie: in a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and spice until blended; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just fully combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop 1½-inch balls of dough onto prepared baking sheet, about 2-inches apart. Place baking sheet in refrigerator while preparing cookie frosting.
- In medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add flour and masa harina; continue mixing for 2 minutes or until large clumps form and mixture can be formed into a ball with your hands.
- Divide dough into 36 (1-inch) balls. With your fingers flatten each ball into a 1 1/2–inch round.
- Remove cookies from refrigerator and gently press 1 round over the top of each cookie.
- With the tip of a sharp knife score each cookie shell to make a decorative pattern.
- Sprinkle each with sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 16 minutes or until cookie edges are lightly brown.
- With a round cookie cutter, trim cookies for perfectly shaped rounds, if desired.
- Transfer cookies on parchment to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: cookies and bars
- Method: baking
Keywords: unusual homemade cookies, concha cookies, mexican Christmas cookies