Flaky and Light Biscuits
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2-teaspoon baking powder
1/2-teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup apple butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- In a small bowl, stir yeast in warm water (105- 115F.) to dissolve it; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut butter into cubes. Scatter the butter over the flour mixture and cut in with a pastry blender (or rub together with your fingers) until the butter is the size of small peas.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the apple butter and buttermilk. Add the buttermilk mixture and the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until the ingredients are moistened.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour or as long as overnight.
- Heat the oven to 450º F. Line a 9-10-round baking pan with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead 4-5 times. Roll or pat the dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Cut the dough with a 2-inch floured cutter using a straight up and down motion; don’t twist the cutter. Cut out as many biscuits as you can.
- Fit as many biscuits in the baking pan as you can with just a slight space between them. You can also put them side-by-side on a baking sheet.
- Gather the remaining dough scraps, then gently roll out the dough again. Cut out the remaining biscuits and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush tops with heavy cream. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake biscuits until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- As soon as the biscuits come out of the oven, brush the tops with the melted butter.
- Serve warm with butter and apple butter.
turbinado sugar is also known as Demerara sugar or “sugar in the raw”
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: yeast breads
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: yeast, biscuits, apple, apple butter, breakfast, overnight, brunch