a welcome holiday gift
½ cup sugar
1 (12 oz) bag fresh cranberries
1 Meyer lemon or medium-size orange, grated zest and juice
1 large honey crisp apple, peeled, grated
½ cup honey
pinch of Alaskan alder smoked salt or finishing salt of your choice
½ cup toasted chopped pecans, optional
- In medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine water, sugar, cranberries, lemon (or orange) zest and juice, apple and half the honey; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring mixture occasionally, pressing cranberries with the back of your spoon against the side of the pan insuring all have popped.
- Taste and add additional honey to your desired sweetness. (I use the whole half-cup if using the Meyer lemon instead of an orange).
- Simmer until the mixture is thickened. Cool.
- Stir in salt and pecans, if desired.
- Category: holiday
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: cranberry relish, apples, honey, gift, canning