A super easy Asian inspired apple pie is as simple as it is delicious.
3 tablespoons caramel topping
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons white miso paste
1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling
2 Wick’s Pies 9-inch dough circles
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
3 Thai basil or regular basil leaves, slivered
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon of water
1 tablespoon cane sugar
- Heat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, stir caramel topping, lemon juice and white miso until blended. Add pie filling and stir well; set aside.
- Place 1 pie crust on work surface. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds evenly over crust. With a rolling pin, roll crust to a 11 to 12-inch circle. Place crust, sesame seeds down, in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Spoon filling into crust. Sprinkle basil over the top.
- Dampen edge of crust with some cold water. Roll out remaining crust to a 10-inch circle; place on top of pie. Press pie edges together and fold under. Crimp edge with a fork.
- Brush egg lightly over crust. Sprinkle edge with remaining black sesame seeds. Sprinkle sugar evenly over pie.
- With the tip of a sharp knife cut a few slits through top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F. and continue baking for 30 minutes more or until golden brown. Serve warm or cool completely.
This amount of filling fits nicely into an 8 to 9-inch pie. Double the filling ingredients for 10-inch pie.
If Thai basil is unavailable use regular Italian basil
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Asian-American
Keywords: apple pie, Asian, black sesame, easy as pie, miso caramel