Five-spice miso caramel apple pie with black sesame crust is as simple to make as it is delicious. Certainly not your classic apple pie, but quite frankly the best for ease of preparation and exotic flavor. What makes it so easy? Using Wick's Pies Dough Circles and doctoring up some prepared pie filling. Let's get baking.
This is my dessert entry in the Wick's Pies Recipe Challenge. I received several dough circles to create out of this world sweet and savory recipes.
Don't let the stunning pie photo fool you into thinking, "I can't possibly bake this." With Wick's Pies you will be a master baker in no time without the pie dough anxiety or mess. Seriously, Wick's Pies put the "easy" in easy as pie. Wow!
The true beauty of this Five-spice miso caramel apple pie with black sesame crust is how easy it is to build its exotic flavor. Let's start by simply rolling some black sesame seeds into the prepared pie dough circle to add a nutty, earthy flavor. Then, pop open that can of pie filling. Mix it with buttery caramel, mild umami white miso, fragrant five spice and tangy lemon for an incredible balance of flavor that will have you coming back for just another sliver.
This pie crust is as good as it gets. It's flaky, tasty and bakes to the perfect golden brown. Every pie baker knows it is the crust that makes the pie and Wick's Pies Dough Circles delivers on that.Print
A super easy Asian inspired apple pie is as simple as it is delicious.
3 tablespoons caramel topping
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons white miso paste
1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling
2 Wick’s Pies 9-inch dough circles
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
3 Thai basil or regular basil leaves, slivered
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 teaspoon of water
1 tablespoon cane sugar
- Heat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, stir caramel topping, lemon juice and white miso until blended. Add pie filling and stir well; set aside.
- Place 1 pie crust on work surface. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds evenly over crust. With a rolling pin, roll crust to a 11 to 12-inch circle. Place crust, sesame seeds down, in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Spoon filling into crust. Sprinkle basil over the top.
- Dampen edge of crust with some cold water. Roll out remaining crust to a 10-inch circle; place on top of pie. Press pie edges together and fold under. Crimp edge with a fork.
- Brush egg lightly over crust. Sprinkle edge with remaining black sesame seeds. Sprinkle sugar evenly over pie.
- With the tip of a sharp knife cut a few slits through top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F. and continue baking for 30 minutes more or until golden brown. Serve warm or cool completely.
This amount of filling fits nicely into an 8 to 9-inch pie. Double the filling ingredients for 10-inch pie.
If Thai basil is unavailable use regular Italian basil
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Asian-American
Keywords: apple pie, Asian, black sesame, easy as pie, miso caramel
For more information check out Wick’s Pies.
And look what else you can with Wick's Pies Dough Circles. The beauty of this pie dough is that it holds its shape in the baking process.
And if you'd like a comforting dinner before you dive into dessert give my Green Curry Chicken Pies with Everything Bagel Crust Bites a try. Then, my Wick's Pies Pie Crust Granola for breakfast.