Spirited with whiskey these are full of flavor.
Salted Chocolate Whiskey Shortbread
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon whiskey (Jack Daniel’s recommended)
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
Chocolate Sea Salt or your favorite finishing salt
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. On low speed, add egg, vanilla and whisky; blend well.
- Gradually add flour until fully incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate.
- Dump dough out onto some plastic wrap. Gather it up into a flat disk. Wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a silicone mat or lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/8-1/4-inch thickness. Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters. Re-roll dough scraps as needed to cut out more cookies.
- Place cookies on baking sheets. Sprinkle generously with finishing salt. Gently press salt into cookie with your fingertips.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes for 1 1/2-inch size cookies or until edges brown. Cool.
I made about 200 cookies with a small heart shaped cutter.
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking