1 large butternut squash, seeded, peeled, diced
2-tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon chopped lemon grass
2 teaspoons green curry paste or more or less to taste
1 large onion, chopped
¾ cup chopped celery
¼ cup seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper, plus additional for garnish
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
1 lime, halved
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven 400F. Line a large rimmed, baking sheet with foil.
- Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of oil and spread out in an even layer on prepared pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast about 30 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil and butter in a Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add lemon grass, curry paste, onion, celery and jalapeno; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, sugar, juice from half the lime and ¾ of the roasted butternut squash.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. (Soup may also be pureed in batches in a regular blender).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper and balance out with additional sugar +/or lime juice.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with remaining roasted squash and minced jalapeno or chopped cilantro.