Winter Squash Bisque coming up
It's winter and the view from Will's Bench could not be more beautiful. One would think the bench in the cold of winter would be a lonely place, but not by the look of all the footprints in the snow. It's getting plenty of visitors and that sure warms my heart.
Now say "yes" to a steaming bowl of winter squash bisque. It's just what the physician assistant ordered to chase those winter blues away and warm your heart. Made with butternut squash and coconut milk this soup is gluten-free, dairy free and packed with Asian flavors and vegetables.Print
Full of flavor and comfort.
1 large butternut squash, seeded, peeled, diced
2-tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon chopped lemon grass
2 teaspoons green curry paste or more or less to taste
1 large onion, chopped
¾ cup chopped celery
¼ cup seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper, plus additional for garnish
1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
1 lime, halved
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven 400F. Line a large rimmed, baking sheet with foil.
- Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of oil and spread out in an even layer on prepared pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast about 30 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil and butter in a Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add lemon grass, curry paste, onion, celery and jalapeno; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk, sugar, juice from half the lime and ¾ of the roasted butternut squash.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. (Soup may also be pureed in batches in a regular blender).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper and balance out with additional sugar +/or lime juice.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with remaining roasted squash and minced jalapeno or chopped cilantro.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: soup
- Method: oven/stovetop
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: butternut squash, roasted, Thai curry