Bursting with flavor my Meringue Kissed Lemon Pudding Pie with Wild Berry Jam is one of my most requested family recipes. Friends and family from Hawaii to Massachusettes and places in between know this one is, “Better than Birthday Cake”. There is no finer compliment than to have someone try my recipe and share their photo creations with me. It gives me great joy.
This pie features a buttery shortbread crust filled with the most luscious, silky smooth and tart lemon custard. Topped with the easiest no-fail wild berry jam and simple meringue stars this one is a real show-stopper. I am so proud that a panel of judges from Eggland’s Best chose it as Best in State and then Best in the Northwest Region based on taste and creativity.
Give my recipe a try and tag me with your photo creation on instagram @goodgriefcook. If you would like to vote for my pie or any of the other top winners please check out America’s Best Recipe.Print
Tart lemon filling topped with a sweet wild berry jam this pie is one of my most requested recipes and the regional winner in a national contest.
2 cups shortbread cookie crumbs
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup milk, divided
¼ cup cornstarch
3 eggs, separated
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons butter, cut into 4 pieces
1 cup 5% fat Greek yogurt
2 cups wild blueberries, fresh or frozen
½ cup Huckleberry preserves (you may substitute elderberry or blueberry)
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
3 egg whites (from separated eggs above), room temperature
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ cup super fine sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven 350F.
- Mix cookie crumbs and butter until crumbs are moistened. Press the mixture evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake 10 minutes. Cool.
- For the filling: In a heat-proof bowl or large measure with a spout, whisk ½ cup milk with cornstarch until blended. Add egg yolks, blend well and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk the remaining ½ cup of milk with the lemon juice, sugar and lemon zest until the sugar dissolves and the mixture just comes to a simmer. Slowly whisk the hot mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken and bubble. Let cook for 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time, until melted and incorporated.
- Whisk in yogurt until pudding is smooth.
- Pour filling into prepared crust. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto the filling to prevent it from forming a crust. Chill for 2 hours.
- Make the jam topping. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine wild blueberries and preserves, stirring, until preserves are melted, blueberries release their juice and mixture begins to bubble.
- Stir in cornstarch slurry to thicken the mixture. Let mixture bubble 1 more minute or until fully thickened. Cover and chill jam before spreading evenly over top of pie.
- Make meringue stars. Heat oven to 200F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a stand mixer with whip attachment combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until foamy. Slowly add sugar and once incorporated add lemon juice. Increase mixer speed to high and whip until meringue is very stiff and glossy.
- Spoon meringue into a large piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe 1-inch diameter kisses onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 2 hours or until light and dry. Garnish pie with meringue kisses just before serving.
Filling, jam and meringue stars can be made 1 day ahead
- Category: dessert
- Method: stove top/baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pie, huckleberry, wild blueberries, baking, pudding, recipe contest, winner
Eggland’s Best is the only egg good enough for my family recipes because EB eggs not only offer the best taste and nutrition, but also are consistently perfect from one package to the next. I trust that every time I use EB eggs my recipes will be deliciously high in vitamins and omega 3 and I feel so good about feeding my family such a quality egg. I know this pie is truly the “Best Family Recipe” because whatever the occasion it is the most requested dessert. It even beats out a birthday cake.
<3 love always
shout-out to my Saucy Mamas who introduced me to Oregon huckleberry jam which was the inspiration for this pie