I am taking part in the “USA Pears Blogger Recipe Challenge”. The Most Festive Pear Crostini is my entry into the appetizer category.
It’s holiday time and that means partying with USA Pears. At their peak of freshness right now, pears are a beautiful versatile fruit that need little embellishment. Sliced on a cheeseboard or tossed into a salad pears are an easy addition to every festive table. Come on now. They come in both red and green Christmas colors! If that doesn’t just get you excited about cooking with USA Pears during the holidays then the flavor will.
The most festive pear crostini is a crowd pleasing appetizer recipe for holiday entertaining. With a few flavorful ingredients you will WOW your guests with this delicious pear bite. The sweetness of the pears, not only complements the nutty cheese, but balances out that little pop of pomegranate.Print
Fresh and Festive Pear Crostini
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 to 12. 1x
Festive and healthy pear appetizer.
1 bunch fresh thyme
2 USA Pears, (1 red like Anjou and 1 green like Bartlett), cored, halved, and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 large baguette, cut on an angle into 1/2-inch slices
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup shredded mild Spanish Manchego cheese
Freshly ground black pepper, optional
1/4 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Heat oven 375F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Spread several thyme sprigs over bottom of one baking sheet. Fan pear slices over top of thyme.
- Using two tablespoons of butter, spread butter lightly over 1 side of each bread slice and place butter-side-up on other baking sheet.
- Melt remaining butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat until foaming subsides. Add sugar and swirl until melted and starting to brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Spoon mixture evenly over sliced pears.
- Bake pears and bread for 10 minutes.
- Arrange baked pears on top of crostini.
- Sprinkle each with some cheese. Return crostini to oven and bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with pepper, if desired and top with pomegranate seeds and fresh thyme leaves.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: appetizer
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pears, crostini, manchego, finger food, holiday
For more information and delicious recipes check out the website www.usapears.org and their social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram) @usapears
will have for Thanksgiving