Cranberry Crème Brûlée Pastry
Some days I wake up with crazy mash-up recipes in my head. For instance, what if my favorite dessert, crème brûlée, and my favorite pastry, a fruit-filled turnover, had a baby? I imagine buttery flaky layers filled with a well-balanced tart jam surrounded by a bit of sweet indulgent cream. And it must have my favorite part of the crème brûlée, that slightly burnt, crispy crunchy top. It’s not your average cranberry recipe, so let’s get started with THE CAPE COD SELECT BLOGGER RECIPE CHALLENGE CONTEST Cran-You-Believe It Category.
First, this cranberry jam filling with a touch of vanilla. So good you will be eating it with a spoon, but please restrain yourself as you will need every bit of this super fruit goodness to fill the pastry. Super simple to make, so if you can’t stop eating it just make a second batch. I won’t tell anyone.
The cranberry jam adds such a beautiful tart balance to the cranberry crème brûlée pastry . Just a mix of cranberries, brown sugar, butter and vanilla simmered until the cranberries burst and the mixture thickens up. It must be chilled and can be made a day or two in advance.
How to cheat at the pastry game
In addition, to make this totally easy let’s use ready made puff pastry. Gently rolled and trimmed to a 12-inch square I find a pizza cutter perfect for cutting the pastry into nine 4-inch squares. Top each square with a generous spoonful of cranberry jam and then pinch up those points to seal.
Now place those cute little berry packages, seam-side down in the prepared pan and partially bake them. Remove from the oven and shower each pastry with the crème brûlée mixture. Top with the almonds and back into the oven to finish.
Serve warm or at room temperature as individual squares with a dusting of powdered sugar or show off that delicious jam inside by slicing into triangles. Either way you are sure to WOW your family and friends with this creative treat.Print
Cranberry Crème Brûlée Breakfast Pastry
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: serves 9
Award winning The Best Cranberry Crème Brûlée Pastry.
2 cups Cape Cod Select Premium Frozen Cranberries
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla, divided
1 sheet of puff pastry from (17.3 oz), thawed
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup slivered or sliced almonds
powdered sugar, optional
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine cranberries, brown sugar and butter, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer mixture for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Transfer mixture to a bowl (you will have ¾ cup of cranberry filling). Chill filling in the refrigerator. Can be made 1 day in advance.
- When ready to bake, heat oven to 400F. Lightly spray 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray. Lightly flour a work surface. Roll puff pastry sheet into a 12-inch square. Using a sharp knife or pizza wheel, slice pastry into nine 4-inch squares.
- Divide the cooled cranberry mixture into 9 portions.
- Working with 1 square at a time, place a portion of cranberry filling in center of square. With tip of your finger, lightly brush pastry edge with some water. Bring points of pastry up and over the filling pinching edges to seal.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients forming a total of 9 pastries. Arrange pastries in a single layer, seam-side-down in pan.
- With the tip of a sharp knife make a slit to vent steam in the top of each pastry.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until just a light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk cream, egg, sugar and remaining ½-teaspoon vanilla until blended.
- Remove partially baked pastries from oven. Pour the cream mixture evenly over the top of each pastry.
- Sprinkle evenly with the almonds.
- Bake for 15 minutes more or until a deep golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature dusted with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: brunch
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: breakfast, dessert, coffee time, tea time, cranberry, creme brûlée, pastry
Enjoy the health benefits of premium farm fresh cranberries all year long. Available in the frozen section of your grocery store cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving anymore.
Wow, these breakfast pastries look amazing!
I so appreciate that you can see the goodness of this recipe. Thank you.