I am reposting today the best French toast muffins because on occasion I need to update winning recipes. This one is from my May 2014 blog post. Betterrecipes.com was the original host of my recipe, but that site now seems to be undergoing changes and the link I had posted to the site is no longer working. I include my original recipe here now for comparison.
Here is the original recipe that won the contest.Print
¼ cup milk
3 eggs, divided
8 slices cinnamon swirl bread, crusts removed, cut into ½-inch cubes
2 cups all purpose flour
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon maple extract
1 stick plus 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, divided
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven 400F. Grease a standard 12-cup muffin tin with no-stick baking spray or line with paper cups.
- In medium bowl, whisk milk and 1 egg until blended. Add bread; stir to coat (this is the French toast topping).
- In medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk remaining 2 eggs for 30 seconds. Add sour cream, maple extract and ½ cup of the melted butter; whisk well.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry; blend just until the dry ingredients are moistened (do not over mix).
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Spoon the French toast topping evenly over the batter; pressing down slightly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Invert the muffins onto a wire rack, turn them upright; cool 5 minutes.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush remaining melted butter over muffins; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Serve warm.
- Category: quick breads
- Method: baking
Keywords: French toast, muffins, breakfast, brunch, cinnamon, eggs