I adore toasted coconut biscotti. It is a must-have Christmas cookie. The trouble with making biscotti is dealing with a sticky dough that has to be shaped into loaves. I don’t know about you, but my loaves always turn out wonky and a bit uneven. So, when I saw that USA Pan created a biscotti pan I was all in. In fact, I bought two of them.
However, not finding a recipe on the new pan insert I quickly turned to their web site looking for clarity on how to best translate the traditional molded loaf to one fitted in a biscotti pan. I was out of luck. I did not find a single biscotti recipe on the web site. Not to be deterred, I put my brave face on, crossed my spatulas for luck and started experimenting.
My recipe is adapted from one of my favorite cookie books written by an old home town friend, Maria Bruscino Sanchez. Maria owns an amazing bakery in Waterbury, CT. Her book is called Sweet Maria’s Italian Cookie Tray. Maria’s recipe for coconut biscotti is formed into 3 separate loaves on parchment lined baking sheets. With my new pan I can easily spread all the batter into 1 even loaf. No sticky mess is a real bonus. I bump up the flavor of the dough adding coconut extract and some extra salt.
I baked the loaf for 30 minutes, but I wish I had baked it about 5 minutes longer to better hold the dome shape. The biscotti are quite sweet, so adding the bitterness of the chocolate espresso drizzle really helps to balance out the flavors. If you like Mounds candy bars this cookie is for YOU! Delicious with a steaming cup of coffee, a quick dip into the coffee makes an incredible bite and the best dessert after a big holiday meal.Print
Toasted Coconut Biscotti with Chocolate Espresso Drizzle
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 20 cookies 1x
Baked in a biscotti pan made these sweet, crunchy, coconut cookies with a decadent drizzle easy to shape and slice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 ¼ cups sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup espresso chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Heat oven 350F. Line biscotti pan with a parchment paper sling.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar with electric mixture for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and coconut extract; blend well.
- With mixer on low speed, add coconut and then gradually and flour mixture.
- Spread dough evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until slightly domed and golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan. Using the handles of parchment paper, transfer loaf to cooling rack. Cool to room temperature.
- Place cooled loaf on a cutting surface. Using a long, cut into ½-inch wide slices. Place slices on a baking sheet and toast in 350F. oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Turn slices over and toast other side for 3 to 4 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Melt espresso chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Drizzle over cooled biscotti.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: cookies and bars
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: coconut, biscotti, holiday, baking,
Wishing you peace, love and joy always
Leave a Reply