Get ready for some amazing s'mac and cheese.
Since my Caitlin is a huge mac 'n cheese fan I decided to feature this recipe today. Further, It brings back memories of a New York city trip we took to track down the restaurant, S'MAC. Served with a side salad this can be a meal or in a smaller portion an unexpected side dish. I recommend a high quality smoked cheese.Print
Get ready for a smokey bacon mac and cheese cornbread
8 slices applewood smoked bacon, diced
1 ¾ cups (6 oz) elbow macaroni, cooked
1 cup shredded smoked gouda or cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
¼ cup chopped green onions, plus additional for garnish
6 eggs, divided
3 cups milk, divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 (7 oz) package Martha White Sweet Yellow Cornbread & Muffin Mix
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
fresh herbs for garnish
- Heat oven 400F.
- Cook bacon in a 10-inch Lodge cast iron skillet until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate; set aside.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from skillet.
- On medium heat, add cooked macaroni, smoked cheese, pepperjack cheese and cream cheese, stirring, until cheese begins to melt.
- Beat 2 eggs, 1 cup milk, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper; pour into skillet. Add green onions.
- Cook, stirring, macaroni mixture for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is well blended. Turn off heat.
- Spread macaroni evenly over bottom of skillet.
- Reserve ¼ cup of bacon. Sprinkle remaining bacon evenly over macaroni.
- In a blender, combine remaining 4 eggs, 2 cups of milk, ½ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon black pepper, cornbread mix and smoked paprika; blend until mixture is smooth and well mixed. Immediately pour over macaroni in skillet.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Garnish with remaining bacon, green onions and fresh herbs. Serve from skillet.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top/bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: skillet, macaroni, comfort food, smoked paprika, cheese, bacon
Better than gold is quality time spent with those you love most.