Chocolate mint zucchini bread
Today doesn’t particularly feel like summer. With leaves falling and temperatures dropping it's clear warm days are about to come to a raging halt. The wishful thought of an endless summer brings me into the garden where vegetables continue to hang on. The jalapeno peppers are losing their camouflage as they ripen from green to red and the haricot vert cling to their stems as they lengthen. Fall favorites like butternut squash are ripe for the picking. Their skin has darkened and now ready to be trimmed away in preparation for roasting.
My dog, Deacon, follows me and takes a roll in the oregano. There is something about the herby fragrance that brings pizza and Greek baked chicken to mind. Hmmm, either one would be great for dinner tonight, but my attention quickly turns to one overgrown zucchini. I can’t fight it any longer.
Back inside I sit down to type. I can’t help but notice that Deacon is at my feet. I pause and am reminded that every time I sit and write this blog she is at my feet. Dogs sense things. Whether it’s my body language or some grieving scent she knows when to provide comfort. It’s clear why all dogs go to heaven.
If you are tired of eating zucchini go ahead and freeze this chocolate mint zucchini bread to be enjoyed in a month or two on a crisp fall day with your favorite cup of tea. You will be glad you did.Print
Try this cool mint twist on zucchini bread.
2 cups all purpose flour
1-cup white whole-wheat flour
1-teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons ground flax seed meal
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 ⅔ cup sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 lemon, grated zest plus 1 tablespoon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chocolate mint or spearmint
2 cups packed shredded zucchini *
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven 350F. Spray a coffeecake pan or Bundt pan (or any pan you like that has at least a 10-cup capacity or 2 small loaf pans) with no-stick cooking baking spray.
- In bowl, sift flours, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon; stir in flax seed meal and set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and mint. Add dry ingredients, stirring with a spoon until dry ingredients are moistened. The mixture will be very thick.
- Add zucchini and mix very well to loosen up the batter. Stir in nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 5o to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes before inverting onto rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
*Note: I grate my zucchini on the large cutters of a box grater and squeeze out some of the excess moisture with paper towels.
As always I recommend King Arthur Flour, as it is consistently the best.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: quick breads
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: quick bread, zucchini, snack cake, summer, chocolate mint