In honor of all those who lost their lives one year ago in the Sandy Hook massacre. Let’s have a moment of silence.
The only recipe that seems appropriate is an angel food cake. This one is simply covered with sweetened whipped cream and filled with a peach compote, but any fruit will do.Print
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cake flour, sifted
12 egg whites (the closer to room temperature the better)
1/3 cup warm water
1 teaspoon orange extract, or extract of your choice
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.
- In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer.
- Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).
- Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.
I like to serve it smothered in whipped cream with seasonal fruit
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: dessert
- Method: baking
Keywords: cake, angel food, egg whites
…and from me: once your cake is cooled place it on a pretty plate. Whip a cup of heavy cream with a couple of tablespoons of powdered sugar and spread over the cake. Fill the center with your favorite fruit.