Time to share a recipe with yakisoba. Two roads and a recipe is always a fun challenge especially when fusion of foreign cuisines is involved. It's a wonderful creative distraction that I get to share with all of you in this blogger's challenge contest. It makes me smile. I hope you like what I prepared with Fortune Brand Yakisoba Noodles. Coming in a variety of flavors check the refrigerated section of your grocery store (Von's, Pavilions and Safeway in Pennsylvania) for this easy to prepare product that inspired so many other recipes that I had to share at least two of these new family favorites. Today, it's Asian gone Italian in two tasty noodle dishes. First up is a mandarin orange stir-fry twist on chicken picatta. Enjoy the harmony.Print
quick and easy dinner
1 Package Fortune Brand Yakisoba Noodles with Mandarin Orange Flavor Packet
2 cups diced boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ cup dry white wine or chicken broth*
½ cup chicken broth
1-tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1-tablespoon small capers, rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Garnish: fresh lemon and oranges slices and fresh herbs, optional
- Puncture inner bag of noodles a few times with the tip of a sharp knife to allow steam to escape.
- Microwave noodles on HIGH for 1 minute; set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and toss with flour to coat.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high.
- Add chicken; stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Add garlic, shallots and pepper flakes; stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add wine; cook for 2 minutes or until reduced by half stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Add loosened noodles, Mandarin Orange flavor packet, chicken broth, lemon juice and capers; stirring for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Garnish with lemon and orange slices and fresh herbs, if desired.
*Note: If you prefer not to use wine use additional chicken broth as a substitute
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: main dish
- Method: stovetop/microwave
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: dinner in less than 30 minutes, chicken, noodles, quick and easy, yakisoba, piccata
My second recipe includes a classic summer Italian salad topping your favorite burger on a most surprising noodle bun. The bun is a play on an omelet my mom used to make with leftover spaghetti. They not only make a great burger bun, but also delicious as the base for an opened-faced sandwich, too. The noodle buns can even be made ahead and re-warmed on the grill, stove-top or in the microwave.Print
noodle bun burger is a fun twist
1 package Fortune Brand Yokisoba Stir Fry Noodle Mandarin Orange
¼ cup water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
8 leaves shredded fresh basil
½ cup diced vine ripened tomatoes
2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-teaspoon balsamic syrup
2 hamburger patties
4 slices fresh mozzarella
- Place the noodles, water and half the sauce base in a microwave safe dish. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes. Mix well and spread out on a plate to cool.
- When noodles are cool mix with eggs, parmesan and 2 leaves of shredded basil.
- Divide noodles into 4 portions and shape each portion into a 4-inch “bun” on plastic wrap lined plates.
- Bring plastic wrap up and over the buns to cover.
- Weight down with another plate and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, basil, 2 teaspoons olive oil and balsamic syrup in a bowl; mix well.
- Sprinkle hamburger patties evenly with remaining sauce mix; grill or pan-fry to desired doneness topping with mozzarella during last few minutes of cooking time.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- Unwrap noodle buns and add to skillet. Cook, 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Arrange a noodle bun on each plate. Top with a burger and some tomato-basil salad. Cover with remaining noodle buns.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: main dish
- Method: stove top
Keywords: burger, noodle bun, cypress, quick dinner
For more delicious yakisoba noodle ideas check out JSL Foods.