If you love make ahead recipes as much as I do then you will love my version of overnight stuffed French Toast. My easy blueberry crumble cannoli French toast features whole slices of brioche bread eliminating the need to cut off the crust or slice the bread into cubes. Does anyone actually grab a ruler and measure 1-inch cubes? Seriously? No thanks. And don't even think about grabbing a piping bag to stuff this French toast as we are simply spreading our filling between two slices of bread. It's very easy peasy.
Now let's chat for just a second about the lack of chocolate chips or chocolate of any kind in my cannoli filling. Here is the thing. I just can't do chocolate for breakfast or brunch. It's that simple. I need fruit this time of day. However, if you love chocolate knock yourself out and substitute chocolate chips for blueberries. You won't hurt my feelings, but it won't be the easy blueberry crumble cannoli French toast. You will have to call it chocolate chip crumble.
Easy blueberry cannoli French toast features whole slices of buttery brioche bread sandwiched with an authentic and luscious cannoli filling topped with a blueberry crumble.
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
½ teaspoon cinnamon
10 slices brioche bread
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
⅓ cup light brown sugar
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
⅓ cup oats
⅓ cup salted butter, melted
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In bowl, mix ricotta, powdered sugar, orange zest and cinnamon until blended. Divide mixture into 5 portions.
- Spread 1 portion of cannoli filling each between two slices of bread forming a sandwich.
- Fit sandwiches into baking dish slicing some in half to fit and fill the dish in a single layer. I
- n same bowl, (wipe it out if you want to) whisk eggs, milk and vanilla until well blended. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Next day, heat oven to 350F.
- Remove plastic wrap from baking dish. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over bread.
- In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients forming a crumble. Sprinkle crumble on top.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Serve with warm maple syrup, if desired.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: French toast, cannoli, make ahead, brunch, Italian, overnight, stuffed
Looking for a more basic breakfast recipe then give my simple overnight French toast recipe a try. It is also super simple make ahead delicious.