Healthy Date Sugar Muffins, warm from the oven, is how I started my day. I can't thank my friend, Donna, enough for challenging me to come up with a unique recipe using date sugar. These muffins are light and just on the edge of sweet. The tropical flavors of banana, coconut and honey mango shine through. Made with a touch of whole wheat flour, chia seeds and low glycemic date sugar these healthy date sugar muffins are filled with goodness and go great with my morning blend.
Talk about goodness? Let me tell you about Donna aka "the jelly queen". Donna is a selfless business woman and creator extraordinaire. Saying she runs a multi-award winning jelly business is an understatement. She is a master of design in a variety of mediums, but what makes Donna really special is her personal connection and vision of community. With her loving heart, Donna, gathers and lifts people up.
This date sugar challenge from her FB page is just one example of how Donna does her magic.
Hey baking friends! I have been gifted a large amount of date sugar from a lovely young woman and her family who live on the edge of the Sahara desert in an oasis on a date farm. She makes date sugar along with selling the whole dates. She comes home to Texas in the summer and was able to bring me date sugar. I made Date Butter with the date sugar, dates, plums, cherries and apricots, which turned out so yummy! I wanted to see if any of you could come up with recipes using the date sugar to help this sweet family. Am happy to ship it anywhere !
Naturally, I am happy to jump on board for this sweet cause, but what in the world is date sugar?
Date Sugar is not just for healthy date muffins
- It is made from ground dehydrated pitted dates
- Date sugar retains the antioxidants and fiber of the dates
- It tastes like a citrusy butterscotch to me
- Date sugar can replace granulated and brown sugar 1:1 in baked goods
- Date sugar does not dissolve well in hot liquids like coffee due to the fiber
- With a low glycemic index and added nutrition it is a healthy sweetener alternative
- Add it to a seasoning rub for pork or chicken for some delicious caramel flavor
Let's bake. Give date sugar a try. You can get it direct from the source (Michelle Klay) at purdate. Like Donna, you will make the world a sweeter place. For more information about this dear lady check out her store in McKinney, Tx or atPrint
Healthy date sugar muffins light on sweetness but heavy on tropical flavor.
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 large over-ripe banana, mashed
1 ripe honey mango (champagne mango) peeled, very finely chopped
½ cup date sugar
6 tablespoons coconut oil
¼ cup milk of your choice
2 teaspoons banana extract, coconut extract or vanilla
1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Heat oven 425F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In medium bowl, whisk both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine banana, mango, date sugar, coconut oil, egg, milk, extract and chia seeds; blend well. Add dry ingredients and blend just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among 6 bakery style muffin cups.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then turn down oven to 350F. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Optional additions to the batter.
½ cup chopped nuts in muffin batter or sprinkled on top
½ cup golden raisins for added sweetness
additional date sugar sprinkled on top of muffin batter
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: quick breads
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: healthy
Keywords: date sugar, muffins, healthy snack
You might also like my recipe for maple blueberry French toast muffins