It’s national baking month. Why not try something new like how to make smoked cheese crackers. It’s easier than you think to make homemade crackers. In fact, once you bake this cracker recipe you may never buy pre-packaged crackers again. Serve warm from the oven or at room temperature these smokey, buttery, cheesy, crisp crackers make a delicious snack. I’d also suggest putting your next charcuterie board over the top with these crackers.
Happy New Year!
Ingredients: how to make smoked cheese crackers
- the dry mix includes: all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder
- the smoke enhancements: smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder, smoked finishing salt
- smoked cheddar cheese (Tillamook or Old Croc brands work well)
- freshly minced jalapeño or serrano for a spicy kick
- good unsalted cold butter
- egg wash (mix of egg and milk)
I must admit it was my daughter who inspired me to create this delicious cracker recipe. On Christmas Eve she served a stilton walnut cheese crisp that was out of this world. She said it was so easy to make that my 5 year old grand-daughter did the majority of the preparation. So, if that doesn’t inspire you to bake something new I don’t know what does.
I hope you will dress up your next cheese plate with these crackers or simply snack on them as is. They are buttery and cheesy and crisp with just enough smoke and chili kick. I guarantee you will get rave reviews. Oh, and added bonus…you can made the dough ahead and freeze it until you are ready to bake. Can you say ready for unexpected company?
Be well and may you find yourself more surrounded by those you love most in 2022.Print
How to Make Smoked Cheese Crackers
- Total Time: 1 hour 18 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen 1x
Dare I say these smokey, cheesy buttery crisp crackers are addictive
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
7 tablespoons cold butter, diced
2 ½ ounces grated smoked cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon minced, seeded serrano or jalapeno pepper
1 ½ tablespoons cold water
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with metal blade, pulse flour, salt, baking powder, smoked paprika and chipotle powder until blended.
- Scatter butter over top of flour mixture; pulse until mixture forms course crumbs.
- Add cheese and chili pepper; pulse a few times to mix in.
- With the food processor running on low, add all the water and continue until mixture begins to clump and form a ball.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and bring together into a long, smooth roll 1 ½-inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or for as long as overnight.
- Heat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. With a smooth bladed knife, cut dough into ¼-inch thick slices, rolling the dough ¼ turn between slices to help keep the round shape.
- Place crackers on prepared pan. Brush tops lightly with egg wash and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer crackers on parchment to cooling rack. Serve crackers warm or at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- chill: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: appetizers
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: crackers, cheddar, smoked, party food, snacks
For more great appetizer ideas check out my recipes for the best edamame stir-fry and toasted fennel tomato jam
Be still my culinary taste buds! This is definitely going to be my next cooking adventure! Your recipe, plus your daughter’s Stilton and Walnut Crackers — with GA Pecans instead of Walnuts …. cause that is what we do! Bon Appetit, Y’all with good taste always! ML
Lisa, our Martin will love these. Going to make them with him. Will keep you posted.
From one grandma to another I love that you will share this baking experience with your grandson. Thanks for being here.