Smoking Spice Dark Chocolate Cookies
It’s Friday and I am happy that my husband returned home safely after 2 weeks away in North Carolina caring for his dad. My husband is a good guy. It is the first time in probably 35 years that we were apart for this long. On my own, lots of reflection took place and I liked what I saw. Certainly not the scare-d-cat I thought I was nor was I weak during another wicked snow storm. Most impressive, I single handedly took care of a winter flood in the basement. Me and a caulk gun, cussing like a sailor–kind of bad-ass!
Being alone in the grief process, however, is another thing. There is less distraction and that black hole calls your name. It is a blessing to have someone around or someone to call when the sadness grips you by the throat. While my better half grieves completely different without him I would never be able to be alone in my heart and mind. His strength is mine and mine is his.
It’s Friday and we do enjoy a little 5:00 somewhere. It’s a time to sit back, relax, and reflect on all the good in life. Like you folks who read this blog. Your support means the world to me. To show my gratitude I want to let you in on a little secret—drink some red wine with these Smoking Spice Dark Chocolate Cookies–that’s a match made in heaven.Print
Delicious with a cold glass of milk or a fine port.
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon each ground cinnamon, ground cloves, grated nutmeg and salt
½ cup unsalted butter
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice plus 1 teaspoon grated zest
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons corn syrup
30 whole smoked almonds or ½ cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven 350F. In mixing bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, spices and salt; set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light. Add egg, orange juice, zest and vanilla; blend well.
- Add dry ingredients; mix well.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop batter on to ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 minutes. Cool on pan 1 minute before transferring cooking to rack to cool completely.
- In microwave or on stovetop, melt chocolate chips with heavy cream, stirring, until smooth; stir in corn syrup.
- Spread chocolate mixture over tops of cookies.
- Top each cookie with a whole almond or sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
Keywords: chocolate, spice, smoking, smoked, port, dessert